22 February 2012

Being There



The most important aspect of being a friend, I think, is to be there for them. I consider myself to be one of those friends who always try to be there for other people. I believe that friends are just supposed to be there. That's my moral code of friendship. Being there when they need you says volumes over everything else.


My friend Erin called me one night. We were friends, and we were kinda close. She was having a bad night, and she couldn't sleep. She asked if I could go to her house and be with her. I told that it was okay. So I rode my bike to her house, and threw stones up her window. (I know that it sounds like what a guy would do to his girlfriend, but that's what I do.) She opened up, and I clambered in. Erin said that she couldn't sleep because she was having these disturbing dreams about random things, and she needed someone to be with her. I told her that I'm happy I was the one that she thought of.


We talked about random things, and she started nodding off. She said she was okay, that she wanted to keep talking. I told her that she should consider going to bed. She asked if I could sleep with her.


Oh. What a strange request.


Erin must have seen my facial expression, because she immediately said, "No, I didn't mean that. I meant, like, hold my hand or something until I fall asleep." I guess that was okay, so we were together. Erin was full of surprises that revealed themselves one after another. Sometimes, I didn't know what would come out of her mouth.


"Gina, you know, your arms feel very comfortable."


"Hmmm...."


"What? They are. They are like, this type of hard mattress that feels good around my waist."


"Cool, thanks for telling me." Is it me or is the situation in the room starting to feel very awkward? 


"Can we do this every night?"


"We'll see about that."


For some reason, I can't seem to get to sleep. I guess its the tension of being in someone else's house at night and having someone sleeping next to me. I just lie their staring at the ceiling all night long, not letting go of Erin. I felt something that I've never felt before: I actually felt glad to be the one there for a friend when there seemed to be no one else. It was a pretty good feeling.


A couple of weeks later.


"I really appreciate how your doing this for me every night."


"Your welcome."

5 comments:

  1. It's really nice you would go that far for someone. I've never had to go that far, but I do think there isn't anything I wouldn't do for my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friendship is a valuable and often underestimated commodity. You sound like a good friend to have.

    I would be cautious though because your friend needs to pick herself up and doing what you did occasionally is helpful but if she becomes too reliant on your company it will make it harder for her when you're not there.

    Perhaps you should tell her that you will always be there for her if she really needs you but she has to face her fears and learn to deal with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww!thats sweet of you to be there for your friend. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mark: I agree, and thanks!

    @jp and @PurpleMist: This is a very good observation, and I will tell her that when I get the chance.

    @Elle: Anytime!

    ReplyDelete