1 May 2012

Letter to A Friend


My first thought when I see you is that I like your smile. I always think that you are a really pretty person, but I never said that because I'm afraid that it'll come out wrong. You are with your friends, and I didn't want to disturb you. Then you happen to see me, and you say my name. For a little while, I like my name just because you said it. I know it's crazy, but that's what I happened to think.

I've never been good with saying my feelings, but I've always been able to write them down. So this is for you.

Your going back to Pennsylvania in a few months, and I haven't seen you much after school. When we talk, I'm always so awkward, and there isn't much to talk about. Sometimes, I'm tired of talking of myself, but I'm often too distracted to ask how you have been. Whenever I don't see you around school, I get kinda worried about how you've been. Questions swirl in my head, "Is she sick? Should I call her to ask if she's okay? Will she be at track practice today? Will I get to see her even if she is in track?" I know that I should let you talk more, but I never wanted to interrupt what you were saying, because you always immediately went to go ask how someone else had been. We've never really hung out before, as both of us seemed to miss each other and we never really had time.

Through the time that I got to know you, I have grown to care for you as a friend. Although I know that I don't have to prove that I care, I would do anything to show that I care. You have been like a big sister to me, listening to what I had to say and solving some of my problems. The only thing was I never had a way to express what I actually felt. For the most part, I feel awkward saying such things. Like, what was I supposed to say? "Oh, hey, I care about you. Just felt like saying what I truly feel." What I fear is the stare of shock as my words are perceived in the wrong way. 

The face that you make whenever you laugh crack me up every single time. You don't need makeup to look beautiful, you already are. That's corny, but yes, you are.

25 comments:

  1. Whenever I have someone in my life that I care about, I make an effort to tell them, even as awkward or as weird as it might sound. I recently wrote a friend a small note about how much I value our friendship and I hope it will last for a long time. Just something quick and meaningful, but it doesn't have to be corny. I felt really great after I gave it to her, because she really appreciated the note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really sweet :) I hope she reads this really, or at the least that you get to spend some time with her before she moves away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful letter and romantic if not a little heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely letter...very well written and from the heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should always call or write to see if folks you care about are ok- You will both feel better. Life is always more meaningful when folks take the time to reach out to you!
    Thanks for your recent visit to ESR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are the sweetest Gina :) and your words mean so, so much to me. remember that one time after track when you told me i was beautiful? it wasn't weird at all. it was so kind and when i said i appreciated it i really meant it. and i think you are lovely no matter how much or how little you say. also, when you tell me what you're feeling i can pretty much guarantee i won't think you're crazy. i will love to hear it from you because it gives me more insight into who you are as a person, and you are lovely! and also, you're last line, about me being beautiful without makeup, thank you. it really means so much to me. whether you feel like it, you have impacted my life in a beautiful way and i'm so happy to be apart of your life, even if i'm going to be leaving california soon. thank you again. i love you! i'm excited to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gina. I wish more people could express themselves the way you just did!! The world would have so much more LOVE.
    You're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really sweet. I'm sure this person would feel really good to know how you feel. Like you, I find it easier to write feelings down than say them out loud. Maybe when you see her next time, have a couple of questions planned to ask her. Then you'll be prepared. I'm sorry she's leaving soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As hard as it is to express oneself in writing, it's often easier than saying it out loud, isn't it? This was a beautifully done letter.

    Oh, and I'll be sure to tell my daughter Gina that her name is the 213th most common name in the US. (I'm betting she give me that screwed up little face that says: "You think you're so funny, Mom.")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina,
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and Samantha's, as well.

    What a beautifully-written letter to a friend. The feelings are so well-conveyed with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful letter but you have to let people know how you feel because they'll probably go through their whole lives feeling the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well this is my first time here.
    I think that letter is beautiful and would love it is someone sent it to me.
    I always tell people what I think - unless it is something mean or bothers me - then I think a bout it more.
    I don't really know - but I think I'd send it. What do you have to lose?
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wanted to stop by and say hello! Thank you for your recent visit to my blog. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful letter! It's so hard to sometimes say what we feel. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written, absolutely beautiful. I love those last two lines. Thanks for visiting me on my blog. :) It's great to meet you, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great expression of feelings. It is beautifully worded. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a very nice letter, Gina! I think you should definitely tell your friend that you care for her, and let her know what she means to you. I hardly believe that can be taken the wrong way, and who doesn't like to know that he's being appreciated?

    I love your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Gina - thanks for visiting my blog.
    I think that the recipient of this letter is fortunate to have a friend like you... one who cares, and is brave enough to showcase these feelings in such beautiful words...
    I hope your friend has read this letter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a sweet letter. I like the innocence and the honesty you've put into it. I'm sure your friend will appreciate the letter, who wouldn't? (:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I nominated you for an award! Do check!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice letter. Very sweet and thoughtful. New follower now. Glad ta meet ya, Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You express yourself so beautifully! This is a lovely letter.

    ReplyDelete